Sunday 1 December 2013

Old friends and familiar places


After a slightly restless sleep I wake up to a glorious sunny day.  Our room has a fabulous view of the surrounding schools and imposing tower blocks.  Hard to believe that there are more people in just one residential complex here than there are in whole suburbs back home.
Tower blocks and hotel swimming pool
View from the Crowne Plaza Tseung Kwan O
Residential tower blocks and schools
Tseung Kwan O residential blocks and schools
It’s so nice to see everyone and I accompany them to their dim sum ‘brunch’ downstairs in the hotel before taking my leave and making my way to the MTR station.  I travel to Quarry Bay station and there I wait at the designated place for my friend, Gen. The building across the road catches my eye – it’s Model Flats!  The place my grandparents used to live.  What a coincidence.  Not that I’d ever recognise North Point now.  Model Flats are a bit of a quirky anachronism in this modern supersized world of glass and steel.

North Point Model Flats
A familiar place - Model Flats
It’s wonderful to see Gen and Simon again – our first meeting since my wedding 9 years ago.  We have a really nice dim sum lunch before I make my way to Tsim Sha Tsui to meet the rest of the gang.  

Dim sum with my friends
Having lunch with Gen and Simon
We walk around aimlessly for a while trying to find the new location of China Arts and Crafts and get there eventually.  Then it’s a stroll through Harbour City - another old haunt although it doesn't really trigger too many memories.  I do get to act the tourist though and photograph the stunning sunset across the harbour.

Sunset over Hong Kong
Looking across to Hong Kong Island
The end of my first day back 'home' is a dumpling meal at Din Tai Fung before making the return trek to the comforts of the hotel and hopefully a better night's sleep.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments welcome!