Saturday 20 July 2013

Journey to Home

Twenty years ago today a plane from Hong Kong touched down on a cold Perth night and three weary travellers made their way to Dianella.  The new day shed light on unfamiliar surroundings and a surreal 'holiday' feeling that soon gave way to new schedules, responsibilities, acquaintances and the long awkward path to settling into a new home.

It has now been two decades and I thank mum and dad, my fellow travellers on that night in July 1993, for their patience and courage in uprooting our family to the other side of the world.  

For the experiences and opportunities I've had over the last twenty years, I am immensely grateful.
For family members who were much missed and are now happily reunited, I am relieved.
To new family members who have completed our circle and are much loved, thank you for coming into my life.
To the friends and family who have been claimed by Time, I miss you more than you can imagine.
To the friends I have lost because of my own pride or careless actions, I am sorry.
To the wider fellowship of friends, colleagues, teachers, bosses, students and mentors I have met along the way, I truly value your companionship, wisdom and care.
And to this crazy, beautiful, frustrating, and enchanting place that has, through fits and starts, become my home, I am so lucky to live here.  Thank you for welcoming me.

Having a place to go is a home. 
Having someone to love is a family.  
Having both is a blessing.
(Donna Hedges)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments welcome!