Wednesday 5 September 2012

Musings about the Coast to Coast

We have done it - seven days of walking from the West Coast across Cumbria to The (almost) Middle.  Half of the C2C.  Part of me is sad that we're not continuing on with our fellow walkers to Keld tomorrow, however another part of me says, 'seven days is kind of enough'.  Enough of the daily routine of waking, walking, washing and sleeping.  My muscles stopped hurting after the second day and I feel the fittest I've ever been.  I know in the scale of things, what I've done doesn't rate highly - The Lake District is hardly the Himalayas.  And yet it's the toughest thing I've ever done physically and I'm really proud of us and pleased we did it.  Of course it also leaves something 'unfinished' so there's still the Eastern section of the C2C to conquer another time!
A C2C waymarker

So, if you'll humour me, here are a few conclusions:
  • There is definitely something to be said for having your luggage transferred daily from stop to stop and to have a beautiful hot shower, hearty meal and comfortable bed waiting at the end of each day.  Contours acquitted themselves brilliantly and we experienced seamless professionalism from booking to our final stop.  It was good value for money and the B+Bs where we stayed were always comfortable and friendly.
  • We met amazing people along the trail which gave the walk an extra richness.  There was a great fellowship among walkers and hospitality from the locals who welcomed us into their part of the world.
  • As the UK is shaping up to have one of its wettest years on record, I am convinced that the one week we walked the C2C was the only week of fine weather in 2012!  I am eternally grateful to the Universe for making this so.  It would have been a completely different experience trekking through rain.  As it was, we were blessed with awesome scenery and perfect walking conditions - even if we did get a soaking at Stanley Pond, it was a very small inconvenience given the brilliant sunshine we had the rest of the time.  People we met along the way kept telling us how lucky we were as it was the first time The Lakes had seen sunshine since April!  
  • Lastly, I am full of admiration for my walking companions.  My Dad overcame his blisters, sunburn, bad knee and self doubts and conquered the toughest section of the walk with sheer determination when people much younger than him were struggling. I am really proud:)  And of course I am always grateful for Ross who patiently trained with me, forced me to use a walking pole, forged ahead on the trail, and dried my boots each evening with a hairdryer - thank you honey.
Onwards!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments welcome!